One of my favorite holidays to look forward to is Thanksgiving! Not only is the feeling of love in the air from family members, you can smell the delicious scents tthat is radiating from the kitchen. Turkey, mustard greens, dressing, and all the other fixings are available to be devoured. With all the sweet treats and Christmas being the next major holiday, it can be very difficult keeping the pounds off during the winter. With all that classic comfort food that satisfies our heart and soul, as consumers we have the tendency to over eat. This year lets turn over a new leaf and put the fork down. Here are some helpful tips that not only allows you to enjoy your dinner but your body will thank you for it later!
- Do not over eat.
- Instead of eating large portions of each dish on the Thanksgiving table, try taking a small sample of what you want to eat. This is a great way to eat your favorite dishes. You won’t feel as though you have to unbutton your pants after your finished with this tip.
- After dinner, take a walk or light jog.
- Walking after dinner helps your food digest and burns calories too. By eating a plate that is well portioned, you won’t feel as though your body is wobbling instead of walking. If you are really up to it, try working out after dinner. I feel so much better knowing that I ate good and my body feels great after a work out. Having a great work out before dinner helps too. After dinner your body can still burn fat depending on the type of work out completed.
- Plan a feast that keeps your waist line in tip top shape!
- In my family, you can expect every year those special dishes that are full of calories. Not only is the food delicious, but it is very heavy on the stomach. When I cook Thanksgiving dinner I make it my purpose to cook my food healthy. Instead of using a piece of “fat back” as a flavoring agent, I use smoked turkey necks or tails. An array of vegetables is the bulk of my holiday plate too. This keeps the body regular. Even if you wanted a second plate, you won’t feel bad because you have room in your tummy!
- Dare to be different!
- Step outside your comfort zone and enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner that is out the box. Instead of the norm, why not go out to dinner and satisfy your taste buds with your favorite restaurant? By going out to eat, you are paying for what you order. The urge to over eat is limited if you are on a budget.
- You do not have to get a plate at every family member house you visit!
- I understand people show love through food and family makes everything amazing. But every family member home visited this holiday season does not have to end with you making a plate to take home. If you cooked your own dinner for your family whats the purpose of taking home more food? Lets be real, after two days I am over the dressing. Leftovers at that point are recycled so why create more work.
Whatever your plans are this holiday season be safe and enjoy every moment with love ones. If you have any fitness goals you should really stick to them and watch what you eat today. I serve dinner at 3pm because its not too late and early enough that your food can digest. From my family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving!