The 91st Academy Awards was record-breaking.
It was the first Oscars ceremony since 1989 to go host-less and to not give out awards during commercials. It was also the first time a Marvel Studios movie won an Academy Award. Black Panther, the 2018 Marvel superhero movie picked up three wins out of its seven nominations. These included Best Costume Design, Best Production Design, and Best Original Score.
It was also a night of firsts for many Black directors. Spike Lee who has been a film director for 45 years, won his first non-honorary Oscar, for co-scripting BlacKkKlansman. He gracefully accepted this honor and gave an award-winning speech about our current political climate. Director Peter Ramsey, one of the co-director of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was also the first black director to win in the category for Best Animated Feature winner Spider-Man.
Finally, this year’s Best picture was Green book and even notable actor Mahershala Ali, won Best Supporting Actor for his role. He is the first black actor to win in that category twice. (And only the fifth black actor to win in the category over the course of the Academy Awards’ 91-year history.)
- Documentary (Feature) — Jimmy Chin and Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, Free Solo
- Actress in a Supporting Role — Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
- Makeup and Hairstyling — Greg Cannom, Kate Biscoe, and Patricia Dehaney, Vice
- Costume Design — Ruth E. Carter, Black Panther
- Production Design — Hannah Beachler and Jay Hart, Black Panther
- Cinematography — Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
- Sound Editing — John Warhurst, Bohemian Rhapsody
- Sound Mixing — Paul Massey, Tim Cavagin, and John Casali, Bohemian Rhapsody
- Foreign Language Film — Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
- Film Editing — John Ottman, Bohemian Rhapsody
- Actor in a Supporting Role — Mahershala Ali, Green Book
- Animated Feature Film — Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman
- Animated Short Film — Domee Shi, Bao
- Documentary Short Subject — Rayka Zehtabchi and Melissa Berton, Period. End of Sentence.
- Visual Effects — Paul Lambert, Ian Hunter, Tristan Myles, and J.D. Schwalm, First Man
- Live Action Short Film — Guy Nattiv and Jamie Ray Newman, Skin
- Best Original Screenplay — Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly, Green Book
- Best Adapted Screenplay — Spike Lee, Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, Raymond Mansfield, Jordan Peele, BlacKkKlansman
- Original Score — Ludwig Goransson, Black Panther
- Original Song — Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, and Andrew Wyatt, “Shallow,” A Star Is Born
- Best Actor in a Leading Role — Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
- Best Actress in a Leading Role — Olivia Colman, The Favourite
- Best Director — Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
- Best Picture — Green Book